Monday 17 December 2012

Oh Sew Simple Gift Tags! Pin.005


Here's my pin number 5! This is my jazzed up version of the original pin posted below. The original was pretty in a minimalist kind of way but not really me.. You can find the original pin here which will take you to the blog Simple Pretty. The blog then directed me to the etsy site where you can buy 6 of these gift tags for $10. (Or if you prefer you can follow my tutorial below and make your own!)


These were so easy I'm not even sure I can call this a tutorial.. but hey, here's my tutorial for 'Oh Sew Simple Gift Tags'...

You will need:
Card (I used left-over lined note cards from my student days.. )
Thread of various colours
Needle
Left over buttons/sequins
String/twine
Hole puncher

And that's all!

First I cut off the top section of the note card to get rid of the ugly blue line...


On the left side of the card I drew a vertical line. I then chose some pretty thread and a matching button...


And used backstitch to sew down the vertical grey line with the pink thread and did two cross-stitches at the end. If you're lucky enough to have a sewing machine then make use of it, as it will make the job much quicker! However, if like me you haven't got one, you can just do it by hand.


It doesn't matter if the line isn't perfectly straight, it gives that 'home-made' feel to it (well... that's what I told myself!). You can use any stitch you like. I remember backstitch from my school days but if you're not familiar with it, it's really easy:
I then did another line across the top like this:


Put the two coloured threads together and sewed on the button...


Used the holepunch and attached the twine. And hey presto! It's complete!


I will stencil on the names once I decide who to give them to (with ink pen, I am not ready to try paint again after the trouble I had with my last pin... shudder...). I did three different designs, which one do you like best?

As long as you have the hang of running stitch and backstitch you'll find it easy enough, and even easier if you have a sewing machine. I would advise sewing along the lines as it much easier to get a straight(ish) line. It does take a little time, so not so useful as a last minute save!

I really like them... They're really nice to use for a special gift. It's also a good way of using up note cards that would have just been gathering dust. BUT in my opinion it's a fair bit of effort for something that will, in all likelihood, get chucked in the bin. To make them more of a keepsake maybe you could write sayings or phrases on them and then attach magnets to the back to make a fridge magnet? Or you could tie them onto door handles as decoration? Do you have any other ideas? 

Double pin time! Because it's nearly Christmas I will attempt two pins this week. Am I mad? Yes, Yes I am!

'Pretty Christmas Lights'
and... 'Roly-Poly Mince Pies' - these look yum!
For some reason comments have been disabled on here for people not using Gmail, but it now works (hopefully!)

No comments:

Post a Comment